Are these the only 3 known updated Usenet archives left?
Add Reply
Andrew
2024-05-02 15:27:13 UTC
Are these the only 3 known updated Usenet archives left?

<https://news.admin.peering.narkive.com/>
<https://cmacleod.me.uk/ng/news.admin.peering>
<https://www.novabbs.com/computers/search.php?group=news.admin.peering>
<https://groups.google.com/g/news.admin.peering> No updates after 22Feb24
Marco Moock
2024-05-02 19:12:04 UTC
Post by Andrew
Are these the only 3 known updated Usenet archives left?
<https://news.admin.peering.narkive.com/>
<https://cmacleod.me.uk/ng/news.admin.peering>
<https://www.novabbs.com/computers/search.php?group=news.admin.peering>
<https://groups.google.com/g/news.admin.peering> No updates after 22Feb24
There is still
http://al.howardknight.net/
#you need to know the msgid

IIRC there is also an archive in Austria, but I can't find it.

blueworldhosting also aims to provide an archive.
--
kind regards
Marco

Send spam to ***@cartoonies.org
Ray Banana
2024-05-03 06:21:24 UTC
Post by Andrew
Are these the only 3 known updated Usenet archives left?
<https://news.admin.peering.narkive.com/>
<https://cmacleod.me.uk/ng/news.admin.peering>
<https://www.novabbs.com/computers/search.php?group=news.admin.peering>
<https://groups.google.com/g/news.admin.peering> No updates after 22Feb24
Both https://cmacleod.me.uk and https://www.novabbs.com/ are web
frontends for Usenet servers with limited retention and daily expiry
runs, so they do not qualify as Usenet archives, IMNSHO.
--
Пу́тін — хуйло́
https://www.eternal-september.org
David Goodwin
2024-05-03 07:56:52 UTC
Post by Ray Banana
Post by Andrew
Are these the only 3 known updated Usenet archives left?
<https://news.admin.peering.narkive.com/>
<https://cmacleod.me.uk/ng/news.admin.peering>
<https://www.novabbs.com/computers/search.php?group=news.admin.peering>
<https://groups.google.com/g/news.admin.peering> No updates after 22Feb24
Both https://cmacleod.me.uk and https://www.novabbs.com/ are web
frontends for Usenet servers with limited retention and daily expiry
runs, so they do not qualify as Usenet archives, IMNSHO.
I'm surprised limited retention is a thing for servers providing only
text newsgroups at this point. The usenet-historical archive (which
appears to be a copy of the Google Groups archive up to around 2013) is
apparently only 2.62TB uncompressed.
Retro Guy
Retro Guy
rek2 hispagatos
2024-05-03 16:03:04 UTC
Post by Andrew
Post by David Goodwin
Post by David Goodwin
Post by David Goodwin
Post by Ray Banana
Both https://cmacleod.me.uk and https://www.novabbs.com/ are web
frontends for Usenet servers with limited retention and daily expiry
runs, so they do not qualify as Usenet archives, IMNSHO.
I'm surprised limited retention is a thing for servers providing only
text newsgroups at this point. The usenet-historical archive (which
appears to be a copy of the Google Groups archive up to around 2013) is
apparently only 2.62TB uncompressed.
Hello I searched on some of those and none carry our hispagatos.*
or alt.2600.madrid who do I contact to ask them to please peer those
newsgroups ? I looked for an email but was not able to see it, maybe
need better glasses :D :D

En La Lucha.
Happy Hacking
ReK2

---
- {gemini,https}://{,rek2.}hispagatos.org - mastodon: @***@hispagatos.space
- [https|gemini]://2600.Madrid - https://hispagatos.space/@rek2
- https://keyoxide.org/A31C7CE19D9C58084EA42BA26C0B0D11E9303EC5
Ray Banana
2024-05-03 18:03:48 UTC
Post by rek2 hispagatos
Hello I searched on some of those and none carry our hispagatos.*
or alt.2600.madrid who do I contact to ask them to please peer those
newsgroups ? I looked for an email but was not able to see it, maybe
need better glasses :D :D
FWIW: cmacleod.me.uk uses Eternal-September as its backend and hence
carries your groups, e.g:

https://cmacleod.me.uk/ng/hispagatos.talk

HTH
rek2 hispagatos
2024-05-04 02:55:14 UTC
Post by Ray Banana
Post by rek2 hispagatos
Hello I searched on some of those and none carry our hispagatos.*
or alt.2600.madrid who do I contact to ask them to please peer those
newsgroups ? I looked for an email but was not able to see it, maybe
need better glasses :D :D
FWIW: cmacleod.me.uk uses Eternal-September as its backend and hence
https://cmacleod.me.uk/ng/hispagatos.talk
HTH
Awesome, thanks for pointing this out, I did not check this one.

En La Lucha.
Happy Hacking
ReK2

Andrew
2024-05-05 19:04:47 UTC
Post by rek2 hispagatos
Hello I searched on some of those and none carry our hispagatos.*
or alt.2600.madrid who do I contact to ask them to please peer those
newsgroups ?
The narkive author is David Cavion.

He's a nice guy who cares but doesn't have resources, based on his posts
here and from my emails to him in the past.

You can look up his email in the Usenet archives for this newsgroup, as
even the Google archives will contain his posts.

https://groups.google.com/g/news.admin.peering (search for his name).
rek2 hispagatos
2024-05-05 20:58:54 UTC
Post by Andrew
Post by rek2 hispagatos
Hello I searched on some of those and none carry our hispagatos.*
or alt.2600.madrid who do I contact to ask them to please peer those
newsgroups ?
The narkive author is David Cavion.
He's a nice guy who cares but doesn't have resources, based on his posts
here and from my emails to him in the past.
You can look up his email in the Usenet archives for this newsgroup, as
even the Google archives will contain his posts.
https://groups.google.com/g/news.admin.peering (search for his name).
Hello thanks! I did got in contact with him. Very nice indeed.
he says he is pulling his newsgroups from giganews.

Happy Hacking
ReK2

---
Retro Guy
2024-05-03 08:21:25 UTC
Post by David Goodwin
Post by David Goodwin
Post by Ray Banana
Post by Andrew
<https://groups.google.com/g/news.admin.peering> No updates after 22Feb24
Both https://cmacleod.me.uk and https://www.novabbs.com/ are web
frontends for Usenet servers with limited retention and daily expiry
runs, so they do not qualify as Usenet archives, IMNSHO.
I'm surprised limited retention is a thing for servers providing only
text newsgroups at this point. The usenet-historical archive (which
appears to be a copy of the Google Groups archive up to around 2013) is
apparently only 2.62TB uncompressed.
For at least my case (www.novabbs.com), it's more a matter of resources to
display (pull from db, thread, etc.), search and other tasks related to
accessing data. For a web frontend, there is a bit more processing going on
than just tossing the article to the client when requested. The server is
doing the server and the client's job.
Retro Guy
Billy G. (go-while)
2024-05-12 11:23:47 UTC
Post by Andrew
Are these the only 3 known updated Usenet archives left?
<https://news.admin.peering.narkive.com/>
<https://cmacleod.me.uk/ng/news.admin.peering>
<https://www.novabbs.com/computers/search.php?group=news.admin.peering>
<https://groups.google.com/g/news.admin.peering> No updates after 22Feb24
i've imported and deduped all available usenet backups/mbox files from
archive.org (several TB compressed) without any filtering and accepted
every group that showed up which results in 471k groups so far at the
Full-Node.

'news.software.nntp' for example dates back to 1987.

it should be readable via NNTP

Part-Node (111k groups)
file: http://104.244.74.85/usenet/active/part.active.txt
host: 104.244.74.85:11119
user: freefree
pass: freefree

Full-Node (471k groups)
file: http://104.244.74.85/usenet/active/full.active.txt
host: 104.244.74.85:11120
user: freefree
pass: freefree
Andrew
2024-05-15 02:28:31 UTC
Post by Billy G. (go-while)
Post by Andrew
[...]
Thanks for pitching in to help the team as the one thing Google Groups was
good for was that it was an updated web based search engine which didn't
require special tools, retention rules, accounts, or a newsreader.

All you needed was a browser and anyone could be sent a URL which they
could read on their browser even if they couldn't even spell Usenet.

However... I'm confused by your post.

For a layperson such as I am, how would I use it to look up a post from,
oh, say, yesterday in news.admin.peering?
Ross Finlayson
2024-05-15 20:05:13 UTC
Post by Andrew
Post by Billy G. (go-while)
Post by Andrew
[...]
I'm curious whether the HTTP source mentioned supports range-requests,
and whether HEAD for those resources results also the size, with
regards to making a HEAD request to get the size then making a plan
to download these files which would be expected to be constant now
in batches of range-requests and so on.

It would be very much and greatly appreciated if these are indeed
archives of pretty much all text usenet since the land before time.

About how to search these is you break them out into whatever then
makes for a summary of these files, like a pyramidal sort of
organization, then as with regards generating summary which these
days seems the "inverse-document-frequency" pattern as much as
otherwise summary and links to document IDs, to, search or query
for documents of a kind and result message-ID's their relevant
documents, or "hits".

If these are really the thing for something like "Archive Any and
All Text Usenet" it would be pretty great with regards to these,
and some of the other Internet Archive and other archives mentioned
over the past few months as after Google quit Usenet (one imagines
it was a bit too interesting to its latest/greatest knowledge gobble).

Well then warm regards and I shall so hope that such a resource,
as this portends to be, finds a good and fair usage. If so, good show.
Andrew
2024-05-17 15:58:56 UTC
Post by Ross Finlayson
[...]
Unfortunately I don't understand a word you said but I will assume others
who are Usenet aficionados understood.

This is my assessment of the 4 known web-based no-login Usenet archive
search and retrieval mechanisms which require no special Usenet skills.

1. Nova (works the best for new messages posted after 22Feb24)
<https://www.novabbs.com/computers/search.php?group=name.of.newsgroup>

2. Google Groups (works the best for old messages prior to 22Feb24)
<https://groups.google.com/g/name.of.newsgroup>

3. CMacLeod (too many button clicks to be useful)
<https://cmacleod.me.uk/ng/name.of.newsgroup>

4. Narkive (nice site by a nice guy but fails too often to be useful)
<https://name.of.newsgroup.narkive.com/>